Friday 5 October 2012

Definitely blog worthy!

G'day g'day everybody

Frasier Island was definitely something to write home about. As soon as we arrived I knew I was about to enter into possibly the largest adventure of my life. Our tour guide Ian was the most ridiculous but greatest and hilarious man I've ever met. He taught us a ton about the island including that it's 100% covered in sand that's hundreds of km deep. Next, he explained that the 7 most deadly snakes and 24 species of deadly spiders were on the island (greeeeeat eh?) and that dingos were very dangerous on the island. From that briefing we started to drive...4X4's on deep loose sand was a VERY scary thing. There was twice that we came extremely close to tipping in our car (which was Kath and I and 5 Dutch folks). From then we saw a rainforest and many fresh water lakes (the ocean has too many sharks there to swim in). One of my favorite parts was seeing a ship wreck which was the leading ship that competed with the Titanic and twice it size and luxury.,, Ian explained that it was part of the reason the Titanic sank as it held the world record for 40 years as the fastest ship and the captain of the titanic was ordered to break that record so he took a shortcut (and we all know how that story ends!)

As scary as it was, it was also the most beautiful and fun place yet. We're both burnt to a crisp and came back looking like cave women (no showers or toilets at the camp). We slept in very dodgy tends which didn't even have a zip at the bottom (which was great since Ian told us that before we arrived he removed 2 deadly snakes from under tents) and sand literally got on every crack of us and our stuff. My mom would have been in heaven in that respect!

I unfortunately had the worst luck of the group. The first nigh I stepped on a twig in the sand which put a hole in my foot. Over the next 2 days my foot got progressively more sore until today when it was turning red and swollen and I couldn't put pressure on it at all. By the hostels instructions kath and I ventured to the Hervey Bay hospital and $300 later I've got antibiotics, cream, and a warning to keep an eye on the redness spreading. It already feels better since they gave me painkillers so wish me luck...backpacking with 1 foot doesn't work too well.

We have to say our good byes for 10 days tomorrow morning. Kath to Taiwan and I'm on a 17 hour bus ride up to Townsville.

Lots of love! Will be sure to sleep sounder than ever tonight!!

3 comments:

  1. Hello again -
    So sorry about your foot Sarah - hope it heals up fast! Frasier Island sounds like a great adventure but a bit scary - sharks, snakes, spiders - what more could you ask for? Anyway try to stay safe - Kathryn enjoy your Taiwan adventure and Sarah hope your long long bus ride goes well. Enjoying the blog! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, quite the adventure you had. Too bad about the mishap with your foot but at least you didn't report any meetings with the poisonous critters!
    Thanksgiving week-end in this corner of the globe & it's a chilly one but no snow here, unlike eastern Manitoba where there's a winter storm warning in effect.
    Take care of the foot!
    Enjoy your stay in Townsville.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's my girl... Ankle deep in the sand! I can see you've had to toughen up in many respects. I'm not sure even I would be ok sleeping on a snake, poisonous or not. Heal up and enjoy some Aussie hospitality in Townsville while Kathryn enjoys some Asian hospitality!

    ReplyDelete